Thursday, December 22, 2011

THE PATH OF MY DREAM





Since I was kid, I always dream one day I’ll be superstar in writing. I keep convincing myself, the dream will come true.

When I was kid, I had a delay in learning to read. Even I couldn’t read when I was 7. Of course it was biggest problem when I was in the first year of elementary school. I got very bad score in the class, and teacher almost said I was stupid. No I wasn’t. I was just dyslexia. My mom taught me how to read and write patiently every day. And when I was turned to 8, I did it. Finally, I could read and write. Although, I still found missing letters in my writing.

Soon after I could read and write. I began as a rising star student in the class. I always be the best student with very good mark. After finished my study in elementary school, I continued in one of best state junior high school. After that I continued my study in one of best Senior High School in Jakarta. In Indonesia, you have to be smart and diligent to enter state high school. And my high school (SMU 70) had the second highest passing grade in Indonesia. The most favorite high school in Jakarta. All students were smart students with at least average score 7.5 (from 10 scale) from their previous junior high school. Yeah, I was not always the best in the class, but I was still the best five in the class amongst smart students.

When I graduated from high school, I had offering for scholarship in abroad. But my parent didn’t allow me to take for simple reason. I’m the only daughter that my parent has. In our culture, most parents will be more overprotective with their daughter (less than 25 years old or unmarried). And I buried my dream to continue my study in abroad. I chose Bogor Agricultural University. It’s one of best university in Indonesia. More than 1000 high school graduates are competing every year to get one seat. Only the smartest and the luckiest from 1000 candidates will be enrolled, after national test. And I did.

Why agriculture?

Although I was dyslexia, I have good talent in writing. Since I was in elementary school, I always enjoyed language class, where I could express my imagination in long writing. I wrote poems then I presented it in some of stage performances. I also wrote drama and then directed my friends for small stage performance. It was awesome experiences.

In High school, I found more excitements. Not only writing for poems or drama, I also joined in school magazine. I enjoyed my job as columnist and reporter. I dreamed one day I would work in media as a journalist.

In Indonesia, we study many subjects. But in the last year of high school, we have to choose one from 3 option; science, socio-economic, and language. Science for those smart students, especially for them who have almost excellent score in math, physics, biology, chemistry. Socio-economic for them who have not good score in science subjects but have good score in economic, accountancy, history. And the last one is language, for them who don’t have any competency in both of (science or socio-economic). Teacher will select us based on our score not our passion.

That time I know, my passion was language. I planned to continue my study in literature faculty to be real writer or in communication faculty to be the journalist. But unfortunately, I was categorized as smart student with excellent score in science. My math score was above the average score (9.7 from 10 scale), biology 9, physics 8, chemistry 8.5. And I had no choice, I joined science class. In here, joining science class is pride. Every parent proud if they children are submitted in science class, especially in the most favorite high school.
And the reason why I chose Bogor Agricultural University was because that university has blue jacket. And blue is my favorite color. That’s it. No matter if I have to study not following my passion as long I love the jacket. I knew that was ridiculous reason. That time I was thinking my future was so blur. Being an author and working in media was only dream. I passed my university without passion. But I graduated with honor predicate as bachelor of agriculture.

As soon after I graduated from university. I worked in shipping company. I was a junior researcher for their business development. And there finally I published my first book. A novel “Surat Cinta Saiful Malook” (Saiful Malook’s Love Letter). It’s a love story with socio-cultural background. Saiful Malook is a legendary lake in Peshawar Pakistan.

That the first time I proved to the world that I have talent in writing. Soon the novel became so popular. I was covered in some media. That was the first time I met with Metro TV. I was interviewed for a live morning talk show regarded my novel.
After that I kept writing. Another book was published. Then destiny brought me to my dream job. I started work in Metro TV on Sept 2007. Although not as journalist, but I’m enjoying my desk job; making proposal of creative communication campaign, the concept of media management.

Then my third book, “The Chosen Prince”was coming out in the beginning of 2009. My fourth book, “Nasi Goreng untuk Obama” (Fried Rice for Obama) for more than 400 pages published on March 2010. Not only for book, I wrote for several blogs and media.
At the end of 2010, I felt my life ended after worst traffic accident. I almost lost my right hand. I stopped writing for a while. I learned how to type and write to speed up my recovery. And another book done, waiting for publish. While I have another more than 200 pages book ready to be finished.

I really love my job. I love the place and people there. But suddenly i remember with my own dream. I'll use the moment of new year to start my new life. Its hard, but i have to. I need more challenges.

And here I'm. Soon, you'll not only read my books or articles. You may see my writing on screen. I'm gonna be a full time screen writer. I'm happy finally i can decide my own future.

*picture is taken from www.dream-symbols.com
Free Template Blogger collection template Hot Deals SEO

0 comments: